We discussed the video for about a half an hour. One interesting component was that we had two high school students in our group and they added their perspective about their preferences for assignments and personalizing their learning.
The takeaway for our group is as follows:
How are we as teachers failing our students?
- Not all students are engaged at all times
- Compartmentalized learning by subject, not integrated
- Kids fall through the cracks - how do we get students to access support? Keep on trying!!
How do we keep on innovating?
- Students respond to choice in learning materials and project options
- Keep talking about what "personalized learning" means
- Pursue YEF grants for resources